Monday 2 September 2013

Newt So Fast...

Hello once again and welcome to one of my smaller posts. Rather than one of my long posts that takes an hour to write (and probably just as long to read!), I’m doing a small segment on what I’ve found in the garden in the last week or so. OK, so I know it isn’t strictly about Wimpole but hey, I’m branching out! Plus it’s still along the same lines as being outdoors in the country so don’t complain!

She Turned Me Into a Newt!
Our special guest is this handsome chap. He was only about as long as my palm when I found him (as you’ll see below) and I was most surprised when I lifted up my pumpkin pot to find him sitting there! Of course not thinking I immediately picked him up to take a closer look. I assume he’s a he; it could be a she for all I know! If anyone has further info on the sex of said newt then drop me a line.

Having picked the dude up and given him a grand tour of the garden, through which the whole time he just rested in my hand looking thoroughly unimpressed, I set him down on the table to take some snaps. Now I didn’t realise until much later when reviewing the photos that he blended in quite well!

Awww, he's so cute!!!!
Are newts able to change their colour? Or was it just unlucky that I chose an area where he could blend in? As always answers on a postcard! As I was snapping away I suddenly came to the realisation that the creature may be the protected Great Crested Newt… I paused and looked at it trying to determine this question.

Fortunately I checked later and found a match: The Common Newt. I’m sure there are those of you out there right now screaming at your monitor going, “I can’t believe he thought it was a Great Crested!” Hey, gimme a break ok, I’ve never seen any kind of newt before!

Once he (or she) had modelled for me I placed him back under the pot and squished him. Just kidding, he was fine, I checked to make sure he was ok before leaving him alone.

That's All Folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment