Tuesday 10 September 2013

Frog Song

Welcome once again to mini blog post no. 2! This one will probably be shorter than the previous post (Haha, who am I kidding!), but it's just to highlight what can go on in the garden when you least expect it. After stumbling around with the newt last time, I was most surprised to find what was swimming around in a bucket the same week.

Froggy of Frog Hall
He's so tiny!
The day after a particularly rainy Saturday, I was out in the garden collecting up all the rainwater that had filled the various buckets and gardening tubs we have scattered around the garden.

In one of them I spotted this little dude swimming around and having a jolly good time! Of course in the first couple of seconds I thought: "Poor little thing, he's drowning!"
In the next second I remembered that frogs are aquatic and tend to get on well with a drop of water!

Naturally he'd drown eventually as the water level was a good two inches below the lip of the tub. So I provided him with a leg-up to allow him to have a breather.
 
It then occurred to me that he’d make an excellent addition to the blog and off I went to grab the camera and snap a few photos. It was only when I reappeared and looked again that I noticed he’d hauled himself up onto the makeshift ‘rock’.
 
 Again I’ve no idea if said froglette was a girl or a boy but going by the markings on his head I reckon it was a boy. By the way I’m not sure what you call a baby frog (and no it’s not a tadpole!), but we’ve seen a few of them up Wimpole in Folly Field and Paul calls them froglette’s so that’s good enough for me!

However if you do know what a baby frog is called feel free to comment and enlighten us. I’ve never seen a baby frog before until this year, now I’ve seen quite a few. It’s amazing to see how tiny they are when the frogs first set out! Oh and in case you’re wondering, it’s not a toad. Not warty enough.
I was especially fascinated by the webbing you could see between its toes, amazing stuff.

What other creatures do I have in store for you next time? Come back and see…

Ribbit!


No comments:

Post a Comment